On Oct 1, 2008, at 4:48 PM, Peter Kasting wrote:

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 4:40 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Do we have any measurements of the performance benefit?

Copying verbatim Feng's post on this from the other thread into this one:

Oops, I missed that.

These Node properties all return a DOM node, and it loops several
times to minimize the overhead of other JS constructs.
I reused Dromaeo framework to run the test. The test page has ~4600
nodes. Using Dromaeo framework to run the test along, I observed that
with Peerable cache, it is about 7~8% faster. When the test with other
Dromaeo tests, I observed that Peerable was 25% faster, but other
tests either faster or slower, so I cannot tell if that's because of
real impact of caching or some other effects. One thing for sure is
that when running whole Dromaeo tests, the memory usage went to to
430+MB. That's may have an effect.

Sounds promising, though I'd like to see a test that combines some mutation with pure getters.

It definitely sounds like it is worth experimenting with inline wrapper pointers only for selected classes, not for all RefCounted (or even for all bindable classes). Sounds like that could give a lot of the potential speed win, without nearly as much memory cost.

Regards,
Maciej