Hi Peter,

On Jul 14, 2009, at 10:27 AM, Peter Kasting wrote:

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Kevin Ollivier <kev...@theolliviers.com > wrote: Of course, the big question is if waf would have the same limitations as SCons in regards to doing this, but I think it's at least worth exploring. I'd be interested to know what limitations you guys ran into when trying to use SCons for this sort of thing. Of course, there will always be some things that would be hard to do with the IDE projects, but it may be possible for us to make use of waf there too, by using command line arguments to have it, for example, only generate the derived sources, which we could call from the IDE projects.

I don't really know enough about either waf or SCons to comment. My impression as a naive observer was that SCons had serious speed issues with our build (especially the overhead for a null build).

Yeah, I hit the same problems as well, and after some profiling and discussions on the SCons mailing list, came to the conclusion that SCons simply had architectural issues that made it a poor choice for a large project like WebKit.

The overhead for waf is minimal, though, and quite possibly even less than make on Unix systems. Some benchmarks done have shown it to be significantly faster than make, in fact, which is my subjective opinion as well. My Windows builds also feel noticeably faster, but then again I was using .vc makefiles, which meant I couldn't do parallel builds there. ;-) I just haven't had time to really sit down and benchmark.

Thanks,

Kevin

PK