On Aug 26, 2009, at 6:14 PM, Dmitry Titov wrote:

Arguably a text file is the simplest and most reliable way to keep a log over time and across tools and platforms. Things happen to databases (bugzilla!) more often then to plain text files. It seems there are ways to reduce the merging hassle using better tools/ process.

+1 to having a single ChangeLog though! Also, this can be done independently from other improvements.

I'm largely ambivalent to this whole thing - I find ChangeLogs useful, but they also annoy me greatly when they conflict.

So to play devils advocate to your suggestion, if we shifted from the many ChangeLogs we have now to a single ChangeLog, we'd be *increasing* the chance that your check-in will run in to a ChangeLog conflict.

~Brady

Dmitry