On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 4:52 PM, Geoffrey Garen <gga...@apple.com> wrote:
>> I'd rather keep the current behavior and have it operate on the entire
>> repository. I think it will be too easy to make mistakes and leave out
>> large portions of a patch if it only operates upon the current working
>> directory.
>
> That's a fixable mistake, though, if/when it happens.
>
> Taking huge amounts of time unnecessarily diff'ing the LayoutTests directory
> is a fixed cost that is unavoidable and unfixable.

How long is a huge amount of time?  Here are some stats from my
laptop.  In the first run, I suspect webkit was not in my disk cache
(since I recently compiled another checkout):

~/svn/webkit3$ time svn diff
real    0m23.437s
user    0m1.936s
sys     0m7.531s

In the second run, I suspect webkit was in my disk cache:

~/svn/webkit3$ time svn diff
real    0m8.929s
user    0m2.019s
sys     0m6.012s

~/svn/webkit3$ svn --version
svn, version 1.6.3 (r38063)

If the diff is taking much longer than these times, you probably have
a borked SVN working copy.  We've seen really slow working copies when
the working copy was created with SVN 1.5 and then upgraded to 1.6.
If your SVN is slow, you might consider blowing away your working copy
and making a new one with SVN 1.6.

Adam