On Dec 23, 2010, at 11:23 AM, Darin Adler wrote:

> On Dec 23, 2010, at 11:21 AM, Jian Li wrote:
>
>> We do not add an additional check expression when TypedArray is added to XHR.
>
> Is the TypedArray support in XHR a feature in its own right? Should it be off
> by default or is it ready to be on for all versions of WebKit?

There's a discussion right now about adding ArrayBuffer (the foundation of the
Typed Arrays) support to the XHR Level 2 spec. If this were to happen then it
would seem that Typed Array should be unguarded. Right now ArrayBuffer support
for XHR is in WebKit TOT, guarded by:

        #if ENABLE(3D_CANVAS) || ENABLE(BLOB)

It seems odd that there would be any dependency between WebGL and XHR function
calls.

As for Typed Arrays being ready for prime-time, I'm not sure. You're right
about the fact that increasing the security risk would be bad. There are many
layout tests for Typed Arrays now at 'LayoutTests/fast/canvas/webgl/'. We
should really move them elsewhere. Right now they will not get run at all if
WebGL is not turned on.

How would we go about feeling comfortable about the security risk?

-----
~Chris
cmar...@apple.com