On May 30, 2011, at 4:19 PM, Geoffrey Garen wrote:

> Updated:
>
> Const member functions:
>
> Do use const member functions in classes that are independent data holders,
> to help distinguish between references that can modify the data and
> references that can't.
>
> Do not use const member functions in classes that participate in object
> graphs, since the distinction is weak. Do not use const member functions for
> DOM or render tree nodes.

While I agree as to the DOM or render tree, I'm not sure this statement is
right in general. A linked list node or tree node could useful have const
methods, which give only const pointers/references to other nodes. If there is
a reason const references to DOM nodes or renew objects are not useful, it is
not due to the object graph participation itself, in my opinion.

Regards,
Maciej