>>> Even in a class that is used in a tree, I still think simple member
>>> variable accessor methods (that do not return tree neighbors)  should be
>>> const.
>>
>> OK. Why?
>
> Because it indicates to me and the compiler, that the method doesn't have
> side effects.

A const member function can have side effects. It can modify any global state
outside the object. It can also modify sub-objects inside the object, and
return non-const references to sub-objects and related objects that might be
used to produce side-effects at any time.

It's exactly statements like this that make me think that const member
functions are a bad idea -- people think they provide a guarantee, but they
don't.

Geoff