On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 14:08:41 -0400, Jarred Nicholls wrote:
Do we want to require that platforms support pthreads, so that code
that isn't performance critical could have just one implementation?

That's the status quo :)  MachineStackMarker only works with
pthreads, so QtWin32 and Win ports need pthreads-win32 right now.
 pthreads is the least common denominator at the moment.  Though
there are performance reasons for getting away from that, there is
also the fact that pthreads-win32 is an unmaintained project whose
last update was 5 years ago.

Since this thread started with bug 54836, I want to add that this is the main reason for the red WinCE buildbot. There is no "official" working pthread library for WinCE (at least for ARM) and it's not an easy task to get it working. So I prefer at least POSIX and Win32 API for threading stuff.

- Patrick