2012/3/9 Mark Rowe <mr...@apple.com>:

> On 2012-03-09, at 09:15, Kalle Vahlman <kalle.vahl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2012/3/9 Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org>:
>>> Frankly, I don't quite understand the benefit of this transition. Do we
>>> really need to move to git? If the only problem of keeping svn was about
>>> svn-apply being broken, I'm more than happy to fix that script.
>>
>> I think you missed the part where the impact on servers was discussed.
>> If every time someone does "svn log" the server needs to not receive
>> or deal out commits, it will show in response times. I'm sure people
>> using svn do not check the log often, for obvious reasons, but it is
>> still a factor to consider.
>
> Making operations like 'log' not hit the server would obviously be nice, but
> the vast majority of the
> load on the Subversion server is from update or checkout operations.  Do you
> have a pointer to any
> concrete data about the relative load on a server for Git vs Subversion in
> terms of these operations?

I'm afraid not, just bits and pieces about performance and bandwidth
usage that mostly amount just to a gut feeling.

Googling also turned up zero studies from server POV. As said there is
some evidence that repository size is reduced and that network
bandwidth usage can be better with git, but considering how different
workflows can emerge at least the bandwidth usage can not be mapped
1:1 to actual deployment.

Another consideration here is that git-svn can be rather abusive for
the server if used wrong, so if svn is no longer the central VCS that
use case will also vanish, further changing the usage patterns.

The only way to _truly_ know would be to have graphs from a server
that hosted similar class project using svn then switched to git (or
vice versa!) and even then it would be dependent on the workflows
used...

--
Kalle Vahlman, z...@iki.fi