Ideally WebKit would avoid casts by consistently using either double or
floats everywhere a floating point representation is needed. I don't think
it's as simple as adding a typedef, but maybe it is. In any event it would
have to be spelled out in the style guide.

My gut feeling is that floats are enough for web layout, and map better
onto GPU back ends where bandwidth (memory) really matters. Is there
anything in the specs that force one or the other, or both? Is there a
compelling web content scenario that demands double precision?

Stephen.