I'm not so worried about existing content, as there's not that much of it
and web developers can always adapt it, but unlike other bleeding edge
features this one is already enabled by default in several released
browsers, which means new content that wishes to use the brightness filter
would have to create cross-webkit-browser-version workarounds from day
one...
Maybe a feature that's enabled by default in more than one browser is
effectively no longer bleeding edge?

I'm afraid that the current situation renders the brightness filter useless
- people who use -webkit-filter: brightness(0) would know for sure that
using it would generate completely different results on different
(shipping) versions of webkit.

I see two options here, but maybe there are more I can't think of right now:
1. revert the change, and bring it back for the unprefixed version of the
filter CSS attributes, living with the "incorrect" brightness filter for
the lifetime of -webkit-filter.
2. Create a "quirks" media-query or something like that, where using CSS
the web developer can query for the new behavior.

If these aren't acceptable, what would be your recommendation to web
developers who want to use brightness and target both new browsers and
currently shipping browsers?