Hi,

> [.]
> > The feature does not seem very invasive so if some people really
> > invest time in maturing this, it could be worth experimenting
> > with this and provide feedback to the W3C working group.
> > I think everything should be behind a feature flag, and have the
> > -webkit- prefix. As usual with experimental features, you will
> > have to remove it if it turns out the experiment is not successful.
> >
> > I wouldn't characterize the nav-* properties as experimental,
> > given their fairly widespread implementation among Television
> > oriented profiles of HTML/CSS, going back at least to 1999 [1].
> > See also specifications from 2001 and 2003 [2][3].
> >
> > As such, it seems somewhat questionable to use a -webkit- prefix.
>
> If we're not prefixing it, then it's very important for the initial
> implementation to pass all compatibility tests W3C and/or it matches
> other vendors' implementations.

Agreed. Working on making W3C pass in the initial implementation was already
the idea, as I mentioned in my original mail when I pointed out the tests
that Opera has recently submitted [1].

Anyway, it seems to me that there are no major issues blocking this try to
get this feature integrated in WebKit, besides those doubts and concerns
related to how specifically execute the task.

In that regard, it's my understanding a good way to proceed now might be:

* Polish the patch and update it to match the current codebase properly.
* Put these changes behind a feature flag. To be enabled in WebKitGTK+.
* Ensure the patch passes W3C tests[1]. Include the tests with the patch.
* Submit the patch for review.

About the prefix, I'd personally prefer to move on without it for now and
leave that decision for a further step, once this work has been fleshed out
a bit more.

Is anyone against this plan?

Thanks,
Mario