From: Brent Fulgham [mailto:bfulg...@apple.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2013 10:53 AM
To: Patrick East
Cc: Anders Carlsson; WebKit Development
Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Ports not building as C++11?

Hi Patrick,

On Jul 29, 2013, at 10:42 AM, Patrick East
<patri...@bsquare.com<mailto:patri...@bsquare.com>> wrote:

There is support for C++11 on Windows Embedded Compact 2013 using the newer
VC11 compiler, but for CE 5, 6, or WEC 7 they will not be able to support it
since they are limited to the VC9 compiler. Afaik there doesn't appear to be
any plans from Microsoft to back-port the newer compiler and run time to
support older versions of CE.

That's too bad.  Can you give me an idea of how big a 'market' we are talking
about for these older OS releases?  Are these targets likely to need or benefit
from access to a ToT WebKit build?

I realize that CE 5, 6, and 7 are probably not top priorities for the
community, but these changes will basically force dropping support for those
platforms. We do have some interest in keeping WebKit working for our
downstream build, so if it's possible to make this change over to using C++11
in a way that can allow for building without the new features that would be
ideal. If there is anything we can do that help make this happen let me know.

I think the goal is to (at least initially) conditionalize the use of various
C++11 idioms.  But I think we will soon reach a critical mass where we will
assume the compiler supports the newer language constructs.

-Brent