I'm looking into EME <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/default/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html> and something I've been asked to investigate is Microsoft's proposed CDMi interface <http://www.microsoft.com/playready/documents/default.aspx#CDMSpec>, and if we could use it in WebKit. The idea is that we would expose a few common interfaces (see page 12 of the PDF at that link), like "Cdm_MediaKeys(wchar_t *keySystem)" constructor, "createSession(wchar_t* type, const unsigned char *initData, const unsigned char *AppData)" to create a CDM session, etc. The advantage of this would be that we could create CDMs for each platform and then re-use them in multiple browsers.

Is there any interest in this in WebKit? I'm starting to look through the code to see how it could be done (presumably implement CDMPrivate / CDMPrivateInterface to use CDMs matching this interface), but I figured I'd go to the source and see if anyone has looked into doing this before.

Thanks,
Brendan Long
CableLabs, Inc.