> On Jun 9, 2014, at 3:56 PM, Brendan Long <s...@brendanlong.com> wrote:
>
> I'm looking into EME and something I've been asked to investigate is
> Microsoft's proposed CDMi interface, and if we could use it in WebKit. The
> idea is that we would expose a few common interfaces (see page 12 of the PDF
> at that link), like "Cdm_MediaKeys(wchar_t *keySystem)" constructor,
> "createSession(wchar_t* type, const unsigned char *initData, const unsigned
> char *AppData)" to create a CDM session, etc. The advantage of this would be
> that we could create CDMs for each platform and then re-use them in multiple
> browsers.
>
> Is there any interest in this in WebKit? I'm starting to look through the
> code to see how it could be done (presumably implement CDMPrivate /
> CDMPrivateInterface to use CDMs matching this interface), but I figured I'd
> go to the source and see if anyone has looked into doing this before.

I haven’t seen this document before, but after a brief look it seems that
implementing a new CDMPrivate and CDMSession would be the best way to add
support for this CDMi interface.

It does look like the CDMi module implements a lot of the platform-independant
parts of the EME spec (whereas CDMPrivate and CDMSession are the
platform-specific parts), so there may be some redundant logic.  And we may
need to expose some new methods from CDMSession -> MediaKeySession, e.g. to
change the MediaKeySession’s readyState.  Apart from that, this looks doable.

-Jer