On 03/05/2016 12:07 AM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
Hi Phil,

You made a similar post in December 2014:
https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2014-December/027113.html

Are you suggesting you have done or ready to do the following?

I just completed the implementation of block_ptr<> but I am ready to run benchmarks on my laptop once the code is integrated locally on my computer.

I work for a smart TV company which uses WebKit so I can ask assistance from their part if I need to but I need to know the interests from the Open Source community first.

Let’s be clear, though: we’re unlikely to accept a patch in which all of our JS
object references are replaced by uses of your block_ptr, unless that patch is
a significant speed-up on web benchmarks, there aren’t any slow-downs, and you
can prove that all of the JSC GC’s lifetime semantics are preserved (including
tricky things like the relationship between Executable objects, Structure
objects, and CodeBlocks).

Otherwise, I don't think we would be adopting your memory management
library anytime soon.   I don't think we're interested in
experimenting with your library on behalf of you either given
implementing a concurrent GC on top of our existing GC would be much
lower risk and will address some of the issues you have pointed out in
the thread.

It depends on the complexity of swapping the garbage collector with the block_ptr<> in WebKit. If that is easy I can do it myself on my laptop. If not then perhaps I can download the garbage collector and compare it with block_ptr<> but objectively; including the collection cycle.

I wasn't confident in 2014 because my code wasn't solid but now I am. I just need some minimal guidance.

Regards,
-Phil