> On Mar 4, 2016, at 9:33 PM, Phil Bouchard <philipp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 03/05/2016 12:07 AM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
>> Hi Phil,
>>
>> You made a similar post in December 2014:
>> https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2014-December/027113.html
>>
>> Are you suggesting you have done or ready to do the following?
>
> I just completed the implementation of block_ptr<> but I am ready to run
> benchmarks on my laptop once the code is integrated locally on my computer.
>
> I work for a smart TV company which uses WebKit so I can ask assistance from
> their part if I need to but I need to know the interests from the Open Source
> community first.

If you're right then you've resolved CS problems dating back to the 50's.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. You haven't provided any
evidence.

>>> Let’s be clear, though: we’re unlikely to accept a patch in which all of
>>> our JS object references are replaced by uses of your block_ptr, unless
>>> that patch is a significant speed-up on web benchmarks, there aren’t any
>>> slow-downs, and you can prove that all of the JSC GC’s lifetime semantics
>>> are preserved (including tricky things like the relationship between
>>> Executable objects, Structure objects, and CodeBlocks).
>>
>> Otherwise, I don't think we would be adopting your memory management
>> library anytime soon.   I don't think we're interested in
>> experimenting with your library on behalf of you either given
>> implementing a concurrent GC on top of our existing GC would be much
>> lower risk and will address some of the issues you have pointed out in
>> the thread.
>
> It depends on the complexity of swapping the garbage collector with the
> block_ptr<> in WebKit.  If that is easy I can do it myself on my laptop.  If
> not then perhaps I can download the garbage collector and compare it with
> block_ptr<> but objectively; including the collection cycle.

Replacing our GC with anything else is going to be incredibly difficult.

We aren't going to be compelled by a comparison of our GC to something else if
it isn't in the context of web workloads.