On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 4:54 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com> wrote:

> > On May 16, 2017, at 1:16 AM, Ryosuke Niwa <rn...@webkit.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:57 PM, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I was just trying to help clarify why what makes sense for WebKit,
> >> might not make sense for tests designed to run on all engines. If
> >> that's not desired here, I'll stop.
> >
> > Sure, I don't think we're interested in changing the way tests are ran
> > elsewhere.
> >
> > It would be great if upstream web-platform-tests could use relative
> > paths whenever possible or allowed annotation (e.g. we'd add such
> > annotation) as to which tests could be ran locally via file URL.
> >
> > However, that's more or less a secondary concern (nice-to-have)
> > whereas how web-platform-tests are imported and ran in WebKit are a
> > lot more important to us due to the impact it has on our development
> > process, tooling, as well as the maintenance cost.
>
> I agree with Ryosuke. We don't want to impose on others, but these two
> changes would be convenient for WebKit's use. Perhaps somewhere in WPT
> space (a GitHub issue?) would be the appropriate venue to discuss it. I am
> assuming here the tradeoff is just the maintenance burden of keeping the
> relative paths up to date, but maybe there is some deeper reason not to do
> it.

Filed https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/issues/5945

Even though (after much debate) chromium has switched to using wptserve all
the time, there are still some situations where I'd find it handy to be
able to load a test (which I know doesn't depend on wptserve) from some
other server or filesystem.  So I'd support changing this upstream.