On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 1:37 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <m...@apple.com> wrote:
I tend to agree with this. I think keeping names of static functions globally unique is reasonable, so long as we have an automated way to check. This seems better than namespaces. With namespaces, it's still possible to make a mistake, such as by having a using at global scope, so we'd need the style checker to enforce some kind of rule.

If we were to use namespaces, then properly naming them seems better than the FILENAME macro.

Agreed.

I posted a somewhat different proposal in the other thread, suggesting that we manually decide which files to unify together so that we only need to keep names of static functions unique to a particular unified source bundle. That would be easier than keeping the names globally-unique, but would complicate the build system. Either way would be fine I think: I'm really just hoping to avoid the need to adopt this namespace FILENAME rule. :)

Michael