Hey,

I’m trying to debug an issue where Safari (both on macOS and iOS) fails to load
an MJPEG stream in some cases. The HTTP response is of content type
"multipart/x-mixed-replace” and is also using chunked encoding.
The stream works as expected in Firefox and Chrome but fails in Safari. In the
console I can see the following “errors”:
> [Error] The operation couldn’t be completed. ( error 0.)
> [Error] Cannot load .

A bit more background information (see
https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/13995
<https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/13995>): the HTTP
response is an MJPEG stream created by a project called “Home Assistant”, in
addition the response is proxied by an nginx server. When pointing Safari to
the stream directly, not via the proxy, it works. I’ve also tested this with
another server (https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer
<https://github.com/jacksonliam/mjpg-streamer>) proxied by the same nginx
server which does work as expected but I’ve yet to find any crucial difference
between the two responses that would make it not work.
Here’e an example of the server response:
> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>
> Server: nginx/1.10.3
> Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2019 14:59:54 GMT
> Transfer-Encoding: chunked
> Connection: keep-alive
> Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000; includeSubdomains
> Cache-Control: private
> Cache-Control: no-cache
> Cache-Control: no-store

Looking at the network dump, I can see the packets are all accepted until the
second frame/boundary is received and is then reset by the client. The
content-length header seems correct.
I’m thinking maybe Safari/WebKit doesn’t parse this connection correctly or
there is some quirk in the response so I figured that if I can find why the
connection is cancelled on WebKit’s side, I could understand the root cause.

I went ahead and compiled WebKit and tried to understand the flow of things but
it’s taking me quite some time so perhaps anyone here could point me in the
right direction.

So far, the lowest point I reached was a call to
WebResourceLoader::didReceiveResponse() with has a status of 200 and
needsContinueDidReceiveResponseMessage is false. After this the request is
canceled (it reaches ResourceLoader::cancel() with a null error, i.e
error.isNull() is true).

Can anyone please point me to where in the code chunked and/or multipart
that I might understand why it rejects the stream?

Thanks in advance!