I agree this usage of “roll out” is potentially confusing.

I think people say “roll out” for the symmetry to “check in”. It also creates
the convenient term “roll back in” for when a rollout is undone.

Personally, I think we should say “revert” and avoid use of roll-phrases
entirely. “unrevert” isn’t quite as natural as “roll back in”, but it’s good
enough. Or you could say “re-land”.