Last I recall talking about this, we did not oppose to client hits header
fields in general, just some specific ones that expose information we do not
wish to expose to reduce fingerprinting information.  For example, I think we
do oppose adding Device-Memory because that currently cannot be queried through
WebKit any other way, but I don’t think we oppose adding Viewport-Width which
is trivial to query with 100% accuracy once you have JavaScript on the client.
I think Downlink and RTT were in a grey area because they can indeed be
measured other ways, but we don’t want to possibly increase the fingerprinting
information by providing values that can be used for more effective client
fingerprinting, such as if we were to send the exact same value to multiple
servers.

I don’t think this is an official position, just what I recall from TPAC
discussions in Lyon.