> On Jun 19, 2020, at 9:53 AM, Alexey Proskuryakov <a...@webkit.org
> <mailto:a...@webkit.org>> wrote:
>

>> 18 июня 2020 г., в 9:30 PM, Saam Barati <sbar...@apple.com
>> <mailto:sbar...@apple.com>> написал(а):
>>
>> Why are we insisting on doing something on the bots that takes ~10x longer
>> to run than necessary? I’d rather have that time spent running more tests.
>
> Replying to this point specifically, I wanted to point out that WebKit tests
> take 2x longer in debug, not 10x longer. JSC tests take 3.6x longer.

Since I collected real data on this last night on the actual bot that runs the
JSC stress tests, I’ll share the data here:

Build time
A clean build using buid-jsc for a normal Debug build on bot638 takes about 4.5
minutes.
A clean build using build-jsc for a --force-opt=O3 Debug build on bot638 takes
about 6 minutes.

Test run time
Running with a regular Debug build, the test completed in about 4 hours 41
minutes with 1 timeout.
Running with a --force-opt=O3 Debug build, the test completed in about 39
minutes with 0 timeouts.

The difference in test run time is 281 minutes vs 29 minutes.  That is a 7.2x
ratio, not 3.6x.

>> Overall, how we’re doing things now feels like a bad allocation of bot
>> resources. The differences I see between O3 with no-inlining vs O0 is:
>
> Last time this was discussed, we talked about -Og, which is specifically
> designed for the purpose I believe. Where do we stand on understanding and
> adopting that?

I tried -Og last time after your suggestion, and I remember thinking that the
perf was not acceptable back then.  I’ll collect the data again and report back
with real number later today.

Mark