What Kieran said about jstack (but never ask him for database advice :- P). If your sessions are deadlocking, that will point it out. Otherwise, check your sleep() and terminate() methods in Session. If you have any code in them, make it like this:

public void sleep() {
        try {
                // your code here
        }
        finally {
                super.sleep();
        }
}

If you are using 5.3 and have a logout method that calls session.terminate(), users double clicking on the logout link can also do this.

Chuck