Wotaskd comes with a script that restarts wotaskd if it crashes.

Look for javawoservice.sh

$NEXT_ROOT/Library/WebObjects/JavaApplications/wotaskd.woa/Contents/Resources/javawoservice.sh

Here's how wotaskd is started in /etc/init.d/WOService

WOSERVICE_DIR=$NEXT_ROOT/Library/WebObjects/JavaApplications/wotaskd.woa/Contents/Resources
    WOSERVICE=./javawoservice.sh
    WOTASKD=$NEXT_ROOT/Library/WebObjects/JavaApplications/wotaskd.woa/wotaskd
    PORT=1085
    cd $WOSERVICE_DIR
    if [ -x "$WOSERVICE" ]; then
        "$WOSERVICE" -appPath "$WOTASKD" -WOPort "$PORT"
>/var/log/webobjects/webobjects.log 2>&1 &
        echo Beginning WebObjects services startup...
    else
        echo WebObjects services NOT started.
    fi

WO5.2 used to come with WOServices_util.sh script that would install WOService.