Looking for UI behaviour ideas ........ When I have a case of large file download that needs a long response preparation scenario due to file prep time, I normally do one of these 2:

1) Open a popup Window saying sth like "please wait while we prepare your file..." and that popup runs the long response and returns the file to be downloaded when the file is ready after long response preparation is over, . or

2) Go to a long response page saying "please wait while we prepare your file..." and that page returns the file when the long response is over, but since the file to be downloaded is the "nextPage" response, the user stays on that same page.

Not sure if I am happy with either of those, and maybe there is a more elegant way such as having the long response "nextPageOnCompletion action somehow fire two consecutive actions ...... one to download the file and the other to return to the original page ....... not sure if/ what Ajax framework has bits to accomplish that .....

In any case, what other UI behaviour approaches are others in the community doing for this situation where a long response is needed to generate a file and download the file in one user action?

-Kieran