On 2011-07-17, at 10:05 PM, Kevin wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2011, at 5:21 PM, Kevin wrote:
>
>> I have an app that tends to lock up when a particular page is loaded. This
>> page fetches and accesses over 1500 records from a FrontBase DB. When the
>> problem happens I typically see a broken socket in the webobjects log file,
>> and if I look in the FB manager the state column shows "tb swp" where the
>> others show only "swp". Also CPU usage is quite high when in this state. It
>> will stay this way until I kill it, or the app dies. If I kill that
>> transaction and try again, most of the time it will work fine. Sometimes I
>> have to restart the app.
>
> SQL is not my strong suit, but after checking the SQL log and not finding
> anything unusual, I ended up upgrading to the latest FrontBase5. Previously I
> was running version 4. The upgrade required exporting to flat files and
> reimporting, but that was a pretty smooth process. I'm not sure but I think
> the export and import may have been the fix, not necessarily the upgrade.

That would have fixed corrupt indexes and any lack of optimization (see
Optimize Database; command).

> The page now works fine. It takes a while to load the first time, but
> subsequent loads are quick. I think it was probably doing that before as well
> when it worked, I just didn't see that behavior myself since I was always
> that didn't seem to make a difference. I think the way the page is built
> requires creating a lot of objects in WO so the first load suffers.
>
> Any pointers on how to circumvent creating all those objects would be
> helpful. Not sure if that's possible in this case, but I'd bet some of you
> have tricks up your sleeves for that sort of thing.

I don't think we can offer any pointers without more details.

Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall
knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.