On Nov 8, 2011, at 8:34 PM, Paul Hoadley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was recently reviewing an EO model of mine and noticed a flattened
> relationship with a Nullify delete rule.  I recalled part of an exchange
> between Davids Avendasora and LeBer earlier this year:

>>> I'm guessing that they should be "nullify" or "do nothing"
>>
>> Yes, only one delete rule should affect a given relationship. In fact, I
>> always
>> shy away from (nay, avoid completely) flattened relationships that hide
>> objects
>> I am actually interested in. In general, 'one path to the object' is the
>> rule I
>> try to follow.
>

> So the advice is that the intended delete rule(s) should operate on the real
> relationship chain, not shortcut via the flattened relationship.  That's
> fine, but are Nullify and Do Nothing really interchangeable on a flattened
> relationship, as it's almost suggested above?  It's important because the
> default is Nullify, so all flattened relationships have that rule unless you
> change them.  But depending on whether that rule is applied before or after
> the rule(s) applied over the real relationship chain, Nullify might end up
> giving you the wrong semantics.  Shouldn't all flattened relationships have a
> Do Nothing delete rule (at least by default)?
>

> --
> Paul.
>
> http://logicsquad.net/

Not all... at least not flattened many to many.  Those cascade.  Which led me
to a surprising find as well.  The opposite side of that cascade is nullify,
which I thought was incompatible with cascade.  But, evidently, it works and I
can see why it would be needed on the other side of the delete.

Ramsey