Hi Dave,

Ant and Maven are very different tools. You have to determine what objectives
you want to reach while developing software. What kind of problem are you
trying to solve?

Ant is a great tool if the production of a WOA package in your local machine is
enough to solve your problems. It works almost out of the box.

I've discovered in my short career that writing software is much more complex
than that. I don't write software alone. I work with people of different skills
and unusual tastes (like not using a Mac) :). I usually write tests for my
projects. I don't work at only one project at a time. My projects require
different versions of WebObjects and Wonder. They also require differing
versions of my own frameworks. I build projects on my local machine via
terminal or Eclipse. I build/verify/release/deploy projects on remote machines
via terminal or Hudson. Sometimes I make quick fixes in a version that has been
released weeks ago while the trunk/master branch is in a unstable state. I
change the version of a dependency required by multiple projects in one place
(I'll be happy to show you, Chuck).

In that scenario, Ant becomes really complicated. And worst, it makes me waste
time with tasks that I shouldn't be bothering. I don't bother about special
configuration to build WO projects in Hudson. I don't bother if my teammates
work on a Mac, Linux or Windows. I don't bother if one project requires WO
5.4.x and the other WO 5.3.x.

Any tool (Ant or Maven) requires learning and configuration. I've been very
satisfied using Maven in the scenario described. My current advice is to use
the tool that fits better your development cycle.

Cheers,

Henrique