On 2012-10-03, at 2:09 PM, Paul Hoadley wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
>
> On 04/10/2012, at 1:53 AM, Chuck Hill wrote:
>
>> Or just make it a class property.  Some people find that offensive, but it
>> won't cause problems for EOF.  Exposed FK does cause problems.
>
> I'm not one of those people, and I did consider that.  What I've done instead
> is used the opportunity to look at ERXSequence and NativeDatabaseSequence in
> particular.  This is one of those perennial "invoice number" situations,
> where all I really need is an increasing integer sequence.  Integer primary
> key fit that bill, and I was happy to double up on it, but I'll probably use
> an additional native database sequence instead.

I would NOT be in favour using the PK as in invoice number.  That IS offensive!
 :-P  The PKs generated by EOF are not guaranteed to be an unbroken sequence.

Chuck Hill             Senior Consultant / VP Development

Practical WebObjects - for developers who want to increase their overall
knowledge of WebObjects or who are trying to solve specific problems.
http://www.global-village.net/gvc/practical_webobjects

Global Village Consulting ranks 13th in 2012 in BIV's Top 100 Fastest Growing
Companies in B.C!
Global Village Consulting ranks 76th in 24th annual PROFIT 200 ranking of
Canada’s Fastest-Growing Companies by PROFIT Magazine!