Compare your .project and build.properties with those of a new Maven project.
Specifically make sure build.properties has:

classes.dir=target/classes

…and then make sure your .project file contains the maven builder. In fact,
your .project should probably look exactly like this, apart from the project
name:

https://gist.github.com/hugith/6612765b2449b4ab98ec64ea54fd433c

- hugi