I’ve run into code that did this in the past.  It is very, very much not fun to
debug.  You could stash the values in a ThreadLocal or in the
context.userInfo().  But don’t ever add state to a WODynamicElement subclass.

Chuck

From: <webobjects-dev-bounces+chill=gevityinc....@lists.apple.com> on behalf of
Johann Werner <j...@oyosys.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 at 2:19 PM
To: Ricardo Parada <rpar...@mac.com>
Cc: WebObjectsDev <webobjects-dev@lists.apple.com>
Subject: Re: ERXWOConditional - where does it get installed?

Hi Ricardo,

you are ignoring one very important aspect of dynamic components: they must be
thread-safe!

As soon as you are holding local values you will head to a serious mess. In
your „manual“ tests of course you probably won’t ever encounter concurrency
problems as long as you are not doing sort of automated parallel tests where
multiple request are processed concurrently. Just think about why WO uses
constructs like WOAssociations in dynamic components which introduce an
additional layer of complexity to exchange / access request dependent values.
Surely not for the fun of it ;-)

Of course concurrency problems only show up infrequently and are often not
reproducible. So depending on the number and activity of your app users you
could have been just luckily to not run into any problems or—most likely—did
not notice when you actually hit one of those situations.

jw

PS: If you have access to the recordings of WOWODC 2012 there is actually a
talk on dynamic elements.

Am 21.03.2017 um 21:11 schrieb Ricardo Parada