On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Christian Lohmaier
<lohmaier+ooofut...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Samuel, *,
>
> 2010/12/8 Samuel Gómez <fuljen...@gmail.com>:
>> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Christian Lohmaier
>> <lohmaier+ooofut...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> http://test.libreoffice.org/download-3
>>
>> That solution simply pre-selects rpm;
>
> No - it just defaults to rpm when no decision could be made.

I did not explain well.

Carlos said:
> when not detected the
> Script should prompt the user to select the distro, as the Banshee site
> does, and the Opera one too.

Then you said:
my solution (and the one from
Stefan before) already does that from the very beginning.

And I wanted to say:
When not detected,
http://test.libreoffice.org/download-3
simply pre-selects rpm.

>>  does not prompt the user to
>> select the distro.
>
> It does the same as the Opera page does: Tries to guess the right
> thing, but still offers the user to choose.
> Opera page wrongly detects ubuntu deb (I'm on Mandriva and thus rpm),
> but lets me choose mandriva with the controls. The same with the
> downloadpage.
>
> I surely don't want a popup-style prompt to force the user click a
> dialog away or something.

Me neither. btw I don't think Carlos meant pop-up when he said "prompt".

Now, what about this:

If system detection successes, the system prompts a listbox with:
- Windows
- Mac x86
- Mac PPC
- Linux x86 rpm
- Linux x86 deb
- Linux 64 bit rpm
- Linux 64 bit deb

And the right listbox is pre-selected.

Else, if Linux is detected but not the distro, the system prompts a
different listbox and a link.

The listbox is:
- Debian
- Fedora
- Mandriva
- Mint
- PCLinuxOS
- Ubuntu
- openSUSE

The link is:
- Show other versions.

"Show other versions" leads to the first listbox, but with no
pre-selected option.

> What the page doesn't do yet, is to check for iceweasel explicitly.
>
> ciao
> Christian
>
> --

"Make sure that Office documents very well depends on PROPRIETARY IE
capabilities."
    Bill Gates, 1998.