On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Christian Lohmaier <
lohmaier+ooofut...@googlemail.com <lohmaier%2booofut...@googlemail.com>>wrote:

> Hi Danishka, *,
>
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Danishka Navin <danis...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Christian Lohmaier <
> > lohmaier+ooofut...@googlemail.com <lohmaier%2booofut...@googlemail.com><
> lohmaier%2booofut...@googlemail.com<lohmaier%252booofut...@googlemail.com>
> >>wrote:
> >> On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Danishka Navin <danis...@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
> >> [sorting of the languagedropdown on download-page]
> > please do not take the locale name but localcode (lang-Country)
> > that is the part not localized
> >
> > for example;
> >
> > si-LK  is the langcode for Sinhala
> > if we set the dropdown by order of langcode every one can see there
> language
> > as the langcode order and every lancode is redable.
>
> But the question is: Will people know what the iso-code for their language
> is?
>
> > as we all know the web site is going to be localized.
> > So, in the English content page default package should be English.
>
> The default is whatever the browser's language is, the default is not
> tied to the locale of the page.
> The browser's UI usually reflect the UI preference of the user,...
>
> > Hope you got my point :)

Just write down the list in order by language code
and compare it with the existing one

understanding of the langcode is not required.

for example,

if you want to get either slovanian or sinhala you can just type 'S' then
list will move to langcodes start with Sinhala
then you can see your language is around there.

this will work for many languages.

 I hope you get mine as well (for the user there should be no need to
> switch to another language hopefully - if detection fails, then please
> tell me so). The user definitely knows the name of the language, but
> might not know the iso-code.

in my language Unicode is not use in every where its still promoting100%

the best solution is to remove this dropdown list and just show a a table
like in Mozilla or in OO.o
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

01 detect your systems locale and prompt relevant Libo package
if not let them to select from a table

check this out
getfirefox.com > 'Other Systems and
Languages<http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html>
'
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

> And for people who want to download more than one language, I suggest
> to expand the list below the selection (which then is sorted by
> iso-code)
>
> In the end, it is only a small change, I hoped that other people would
> post their opinion on this..
>
> ciao
> Christian
>
> --