Hi Michael, *,

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Michael Münch <mich...@codingmicha.de> wrote:
> On Saturday 05 March 2011 22:27:02 Christoph Noack wrote:
>>
>> during the OOo times it was quite common for me to "throw in ideas" :-)
>> Today, I'd like to do this by addressing a topic related to handling of
>> mail attachments on our mailing lists. Personally, I think this could be
>> beneficial for almost everyone getting in touch with our project.
>
> Any news about this one?

It has been decided that it will be done, and Alex is working on
implementing it :-)

> Especially if it will be modular so that it can be used outside of the
> libreoffice scope.

The plan is to implement it using pymime (mailparsing, etc) and django
(providing a management-UI for deleting attachments) & hook it up to
silverstripe to reuse the existing logins for authentication.

pymime is already used for pre-list-processing (i.e. that is the tool
that adds the Archived-At header for mail-archive.com and also adds
the footer (and does necessary charset conversions and strips html).
currenly used version is at https://github.com/tdf/pymime - when it is
rewritten to manage the attachments, it will be available from there
once its done.

> Something like different backends for plain file storage,
> different DMS, mediawiki, ...

Oh, it's rather kept simple, as it explicitly is not for permanent
storage, etc. I don't know what DMS you have in mind, but especially
it won't store the files in mediawiki - that would rather defeat the
purpose

> Have there been any discussions about the implementation, perhaps on other
> lists?

No, there were only a few private mails - you didn't miss anything :-)

ciao
Christian