On 02.02.2018 13:56, Mike Saunders wrote:
Hi Ilmari, everyone,

On 31/01/2018 14:01, Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:

I proposed the change based on feedback received last year. Now that I
thought about it again, it might just be enough to change "Get involved"
to "Volunteer work" to achieve the original purpose of clarifying the
wording.

I'd be a bit cautious about putting the word "work" in there. For those
people who contribute to the project in their spare time, and do
"normal" work during the day, we don't want to suggest that it's further
work on their pile :-)

And ideally, it should be fun, stimulating and fulfilling to get
involved with the project. So it shouldn't seem like "work" at all (even
though obviously some tasks are a bit laborious).

Also I think it's useful to have an active verb there at the start -- a
call do action, like "get" or "do" or "join" or something like that. At
least in the magazine world, we were always encouraged to use them...

"Volunteer" can also be read as a verb. Remember that some people even pay out of their own pocket to be able to travel somewhere and work as a volunteer.

I don't understand the desire to dilute the meaning of what volunteers do to help the project. It is certainly real work and should be perceived as such. Similarly, I find it awful when someone proposes a paid position to someone who previously volunteered, with the idea that a low pay is acceptable as "you would do it anyway".

Muddling the image of the work would also conflict with the fact that we give out certificates to first committers. If it was just fun and games, no one would want to mention it in their CV.

Ilmari