From: Jim Randolph [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 8:39 AM
To: WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List
Subject: RE: to sign or not to sign

Let me carry this a step further.  We are a software vendor that has received BACs, TPAs and Chain of Trust agreements from different customers.

As a vendor to this particular customer base we are exposed to PHI but never manipulate it in any way.  Our support personnel do review setup configurations, billing problems or DB issues; but don’t do anything to PHI.  Attorneys and consultants are advising our customers so differently that no matter what, we end up being “the evil vendor.”  Some of the BACs we receive are rather ridiculous, like requiring us to assume financial liability if our customer has any HIPAA problems in the future.

The question for the group is: What is required in this scenario a BAC, TPA or COT?

Jim Randolph

The Echo Group