From: Price, Carolyn [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 2:34 PM
To: WEDI SNIP Privacy Workgroup List
Subject: RE: to sign or not to sign

Leslie:
There are many different types of vendors who may be Business Associates.
Those who perform a function for many different clients are often accessing
PHI in order to fulfill their business obligation.  It is not workable to
have a different set of rules, imposed by each client, to perform the
business function.  This will lead to almost certain errors.  Better to have
one set of rules, spelled out clearly, to allow them to do what they have
been hired to do. The BAK should spell out what safeguards will be imposed,
and what the BA will do in order to assure compliance with HIPAA.  I
understand that you are the covered entity,but you also expect your BA to be
compliant, and to perform in an error-free manner. There will be some BAs
who have a valid reason for asking you to sign their agreement.
Carolyn Price