Dr. Fairley,
My firm is recommending that the NPP be developed and implemented as soon as possible
just for the reason you mention:  otherwise every patient who walks in the door on
4/15 will need to be provided with this document, any discussion/questions, etc.  If
you can implement this part of the Rule now, by 4/15 only new patients or those who
haven't been in for a few months will need to be provided with your NPP.  By beginning
sooner than 4/15 there's a secondary benefit:  by that date this may be SOP for front
desk staff.

Unfortunately, mailing the NPP does not suffice as a good faith effort to obtain the
individual's acknowledgement unless you use a signature-on-receipt mail service -
which could get expensive.  If you do include an acknowledgement form (that is a good
idea, by the way), then your staff will only have to collect them.  Some practices are
updating their patient registration form to include a statement of acknowledgement.
As you know, this is a good time of the year to have all patients update their
personal & insurance info.

Jean Acevedo, LHRM, CPC, CHC
ACEVEDO CONSULTING INCORPORATED
711 Golf Court
Delray Beach, FL  33445
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> On April 15, 2003, we are anticipating that we simply do not have the staff
>available to supply all patients that walk in our door with our NPP.  It's hard to
>find someone to do a job like this for only 3-4 months!  We plan to hire college
>students to accomplish this task when school let outs in May.
>
> Nevertheless, in order to be compliant with the April 15, 2003 deadline, is it
>acceptable to mail out our NPP to scheduled patients ahead of time?
>
> Is the fact that we are mailing them out  (and let's say we can keep track of who
>got SENT one) sufficient in itself to meet the requirement of a "Good faith effort to
>obtain acknowledgement of receipt of NPP"?  That is, is simply mailing out the NPP
>adequate?   If such a plan is not adequate, what about if we included an
>acknowledgement form in the mailing and asked the patient to return the form (and we
>did NOT supply an envelop or stamp)?  Would that be enough, even if no one
> returns it?
>
> Thanks.
> Rich Fairley MD
> Dubuque, IA

---
The WEDI SNIP listserv to which you are subscribed is not moderated. The discussions
on this listserv therefore represent the views of the individual participants, and do
not necessarily represent the views of the WEDI Board of Directors nor WEDI SNIP. If
you wish to receive an official opinion, post your question to the WEDI SNIP Issues
Database at http://snip.wedi.org/tracking/.   These listservs should not be used for
commercial marketing purposes or discussion of specific vendor products and services.
They also are not intended to be used as a forum for personal disagreements or
unprofessional communication at any time.

You are currently subscribed to wedi-privacy as: archive@mail-archive.com
To unsubscribe from this list, go to the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org or send a blank email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you need to unsubscribe but your current email address is not the same as the
address subscribed to the list, please use the Subscribe/Unsubscribe form at
http://subscribe.wedi.org