Matt -- Thanks for the update. I have a couple of suggestions. First, I
hope you understand that I participate in this list because, as an
attorney, I represent covered entities and business associates. As an
attorney and a business associate, I emphasize with the struggles that
covered entities and BAs face in implementing this complicated rule.

I suggest that covered entities in implementing the access and amendment
rights look for flexibility and reasonableness in the designated record
set definition. An individual has the right to request access to and
amend PHI maintained in designated record sets. The covered entity
defines its own designated record sets based on the Privacy Rule's
defintion and then documents its designation in its Ps and Ps.  At a
bare minimum, the designated record set concept structures the scope of
the access and amendment rights.

According to the Privacy Rule, designated record sets are paper or
electronic files that the covered entity uses, in whole or in part, to
make decisions about the individual. The Rule provides specific examples
of designated record sets. The Preamble notes that quality assurance and
peer review records typically are not designated records sets although
they include PHI. The Preamble further states that "information may be
retrieved or retrievable by name, but if it is never used to make
decisions about any individuals, the burdens of requiring a covered
entity to find it and to redact information about other individuals
outweigh any benefits to the individual of having access to the
information."  In the context of the access and amendment rights, I
think that HHS has expressed the reasonableness concept that you have
espoused in the designated record set concept.

Finally, I suggest that if a covered entity takes advantage of the BA
transition rule, it should send each "transitional" BA a letter before
April 14 explaining the situation and identifying the transitional
responsibilities that HHS described on page 39 of the 12/4/02 OCR
guidance. That guidance includes excellent information on the BA
requirement and the transition provision.

Thanks again for the dialogue.

Best regards, Dave Ermer

Gordon & Barnett
Attorneys at Law
1133 21st St., NW, Suite 450
Washington, DC 20036
202-833-3400 ext 3009 (voice)
202-223-0120 (fax)
www.gordon-barnett.com
>>> "Matthew Rosenblum" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/02/03 23:24 PM >>>
Dave,

It was an interesting day in Brooklyn yesterday at the HIPAA conference.
And three HHS or OCR attorneys did respond to some questions concerning
access, amendment, and accountings.

Clearly a CE MAY make the amendment if they are able.  And the attorneys
were mindful that, for many of us (in the audience yesterday) who are
struggling to implement a cost-effective process, there is more to this
issue than simply allowing access to the PHI: the ability to find and
link
together the various places were the PHI resides in order to amend all
of it
no matter where it resides will be very onerous, especially for PHI
created
prior to the compliance date.

It will be very helpful when to see a clearly written statement from
HHS.

I hope that this helps.

Your questions are always welcome.

Matt

Matthew Rosenblum
Chief Operations Officer
Privacy, Quality Management & Regulatory Affairs

CPI Directions, Inc.
10 West 15th Street, Suite 1922
New York, NY 10011

(212) 675-6367
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
applicable
law. If you have received this communication in error, please do not
distribute it.  Please notify the sender by E-Mail at the address shown
and
delete the original message. Thank you.

AVISO DEL CONFIDENCIALIDAD: Este email es solamente para el uso del
individuo o la entidad a la cual se dirige y puede contener información
privilegiada, confidencial y exenta de acceso bajo la ley aplicable. Si
usted ha recibido esta comunicación por error, por favor no lo
distribuya.
Favor notificar al remitente del E-Mail a la dirección mostrada y
elimine el
mensaje original. Gracias.