Vicki,

I have not taken the time to read the Final Security rule yet so please note
that my anwer is strictly limited to the context of the Privacy Rule.

The only requirement of the Privacy rule that could be construed to require a
covered entity to lock up charts is section 164.530(c) which basically says
that a covered entity must have in place "appropriate administrative,
technical, and physical safeguards to protect the privacy of" PHI.

In the preamble to the original rule (December 2000, pg. 82562) HHS does cite
shredding records prior to disposal and "requiring that doors to medical
records departments (or to file cabinets housing such records) remain locked
and limiting which personnel are authorized to have the key or pass code" as
examples of appropriate safeguards.  However, these are examples and they
come from the preamble, not the rule itself.  So the rule does not require
locking up charts but that is offered as an example of what might be
appropriate.  Furthermore, I would note that immediately following these two
examples of safeguards, the preamble goes on to say that "We intend this to
be a common sense, scalable, standard."

I work primarily with solo-practitioners and small group practices.  Many of
these providers do not have a "medical records department", nor do they have
their charts in file cabinets.  Their charts are on shelves, located
somewhere in the office, and these shelves may or may not be in discrete
rooms that can be locked up.  Here is the approach I have taken with such
clients:

We have put in place a basic Security policy that specifies what are the
normal business hours of the practice, what doors remain locked even durring
business hours (such as back entrances to the practice) and what doors are
unlocked durring business hours (the front entrance).  Obviously the policy
says all doors are locked after business hours.  My contention is that if the
perimeter of the facility is secure after normal business hours, then there
is no need to lock up the charts in their own room or in cabinets after
business hours.  If someone is going to break into the facility after hours,
why shoiuld we think a locked room or locked cabinet would protect records if
they have already breached the perimeter?

During business hours we have had to look at where are the charts relative to
where patients need to have access to get to exam rooms and restrooms, and
where are employees of the practice normally stationed.  For example, if all
of the charts are on a shelf behind the check in counter, and the practice
normally staffs the check in counter continuously during normal business
hours, then our approach has been to address safeguards administratively by
once again using a policy.  Through policy we put all employees on notice,
and especially the front desk staff, that they are responsible for monitoring
access to the charts and other PHI and ensuring only authorized employees of
the practice are allowed behind the counter to pull charts.  If the charts
are not in an area that we can reasonably expect the employees will be able
to monitor and control access, then we have looked at relocating the charts
to where they can be monitored, or locking them up.

For small providers I think this is reasonable and appropriate.  I would
further defend this approach by looking at what OCR has said about
enforcement.  Everything I have read from OCR indicates that if they audit
someone and don't agree with what you are doing, you will not be fined or
imprisoned but told to fix it (assuming you have been found to have violated
the rule intentionally).  As long as you document that you analyzed the
situation, can explain the reasoning of how you came up with the system of
safeguards you employed (be they physical or administrative) I think you will
be able to demonstrate good faith.  If they don't agree, you will told to fix
it.  Personally, I'd rather buy a bunch of locking cabinets or build "medical
records rooms" if they tell me I have to do it, but not before if I
reasonably believe the records can be safeguarded without them.

Noel Chang