From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 12:57 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Unlocked charts

Cheri,

My position is this situation is not an incidential disclosure, do you disagree with that?  It was Linda Sanchez of DHHS that said a BAA was needed.

Like you, my concern is also the stipulation of your quoted text that "provided reasonable safeguards are in place."  I don't think an unlocked filing system to be appropriate safeguards when an outside service has complete unsupervised access to PHI.

I also have a concern over the stipulation of your quoted text "where any access to protected health information by such persons would be de minimus, if at all".    As I stated above, the outside service has complete unsupervised access to PHI.

I agree that a confidentiality agreement would provide additional safety but don't see where a BAA would cause harm, if not add additional protections where appropiate safeguards are not in place.

Cindi Bowman
Quality and Compliance Coordinator
Catawba County Health Department
828-695-5847