If you need access to almanac data from within a service, you can do
something like this (NOT TESTED):

import time
from weewx.almanac import Almanac

# Construct an instance for a given time, latitude, and longitude:

almanac = Almanac(time.time(), -31.5, 116)

print "Sunrise today is ", almanac.sun.rise

print "Mars will transit at ", almanac.mars.transit

-tk