I did all of those things.

Pip wasn’t installed and failed to self-install. So i reverted to easy_install.

After I cleared out the old install ‘.egg’ files pillow was no longer installed.

I changed the install directory to ensure that /Users/Shared/weewx was the
final resting place for all of the parts that would be installed.

The thing that bothers me at this point is that the C code is (apparently, I
can’t see the invocation lines) being compiled for x86 32bit mode, rather than
x86_64 mode, so the linker is throwing shade on the install process.

After performing all the magic you suggested, and still seeing failure, I then
deleted everything up to that point, re-unpacked the original weewx tarball and
started again. It was at this point that these errors re-appear. Note that the
pillow .egg file is in /Users/Shared/weewx/bin.

My PYTHONPATH is set to  /Users/Shared/weewx/bin, as I got errors if that
wasn’t set. This may be a source of some problem. I’m not a python expert. (Big
data, sure; python, not so much)

Clearly I’m doing something silly because I’m sure that I’m not the first
person to try to install weewx on a MacOS based system. If I am blazing a
trail, then it is all on me. 8^)

        David

> [...]
> TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
>
> Exception TypeError: Exception in thread Thread-2:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/threading.py",
>  line 810, in __bootstrap_inner
>     self.run()
>   File
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/threading.py",
>  line 763, in run
>     self.__target(*self.__args, **self.__kwargs)
>   File
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/multiprocessing/pool.py",
>  line 366, in _handle_tasks
>     debug('task handler got sentinel')
> TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
>
> TypeError("'NoneType' object does not support item deletion",) in <Finalize
> object, dead> ignored
>
>       David
>

>> On Mar 4, 2018, at 8:42 AM, David & Katherine Barto <da...@kdbarto.org
>> <mailto:da...@kdbarto.org>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Mar 3, 2018, at 3:42 PM, Thomas Keffer <tkef...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:tkef...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Nice to have a Mac expert around! Perhaps in a quiet moment you can tell me
>>> how to get the system logger to work on High Sierra.
>>>
>>> The biggest problem you are going to have is device drivers. In particular,
>>> if your hardware appears as anything other than a simple serial device, you
>>> may have problems getting it to work. From your first email, it looks like
>>> you have a Davis Vantage, which is a good thing, because it uses a serial
>>> interface. Hopefully, the Mac will recognize it as such.
>>>
>>> Get the prerequisites installed, as per the MacOS instructions
>>> <http://weewx.com/docs/macos.htm>. I know the instructions say to use
>>> easy_install (we should change that), but pip usually works better. If
>>> you're already installed everything using easy_install, don't worry about
>>> it.
>>>
>>> If you have a Vantage, you do not need to install pyusb
>>>
>>> Judging from your 2nd email, it looks like you tried installing weewx in
>>> /Users/Shared/weewx/... So try deleting everything in that directory.
>>>
>>> Then it's pretty much following the directions in the MacOS instructions,
>>> making sure to let the installer run to completion.
>>>
>>> An easy to overlook step is editing the file​ setup.cfg to reflect your
>>> nonstandard install location (normally, weewx is installed into
>>> /home/weewx, but /home is reserved on the Mac).
>>>
>>> ​/Users/Shared/weewx/weewx-3.8.0/setup.cfg:
>>>
>>> # Configuration file for weewx installer. The syntax is from module
>>> # ConfigParser. See http://docs.python.org/library/configparser.html
>>> <http://docs.python.org/library/configparser.html>
>>>
>>> [install]
>>>
>>> # Set the following to the root directory where weewx should be installed
>>> home = /Users/Shared/weewx
>>>
>>> # Given the value of 'home' above, the following are reasonable values
>>> exec-prefix =
>>> install_lib = %(home)s/bin