Yes, I've read
1) http://www.weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm#Adding_2nd_source
and
2)http://www.weewx.com/docs/customizing.htm#add_archive_type

>From the combined two sections, I can see how to add the columns.
However, it wasn't clear what f I need to write code like listed in
Adding_2nd_source.

That section shows a function : download_total_power()
which magically gets the reading of the current total power ever used.
That's what I wasn't sure about.

>From what I'm reading between the lines here, it seems that I'm hearing
that if I can generated a LOOP record for say H2.
If I just add columns (as per the add_archive_type) it will get
"automagically" mapped?

Currently I output records like this :
{"dateTime":1593627602,"extraTemp1":78.818}

For a new gas record I'd output a record like this
{"dateTime":1593627602,"h2":.0002} (for whatever value I have)

That plus what's in the add_archive_type link is all that's required?

Earl