Hi, John,

I made the updates. There are no more error messages now and the file
loop-data.txt is permanently re-created.
But there was a problem with the paths.
When I use some of the defaults:

[LoopData]
    [[FileSpec]]
        loop_data_dir = /home/weewx/loop-data

and:

  [[WeatherBoardReport]]
        # HTML_ROOT = public_html/weatherboard
        HTML_ROOT = /var/www/html/weatherboard
        skin = WeatherBoard
        [[[Extras]]]
            title = my-weather-website.com WeatherBoard™
            subtitle = Updated continuously
            logo = ""
            loop_data_file = ../loop-data.txt

with this configuration loop-data.txt not found.
Change to:
    [[FileSpec]]
        loop_data_dir = /var/www/html
        filename = loop-data.txt

all is fine.
the page updates itself automatically every few seconds.
Thanks for your help and patience

Kind Regards
Michael