By default, weectl will create the data in your home directory at
~/weewx-data, but you can place it anywhere you want (provided, of course,
that you have write privileges).

Whether someone else can write to it depends on OS privileges, just like
any other directory or file.

You can run weewx out of a git repository, which is what I typically do.
However, what you probably do not want to do is place site-specific state
in the repository. such as the database or weewx.conf,. You'll want to run
"weectl station create" to place those someplace else.

For V5, it would look something like:

pip install CT3 pyusb pyserial configobj mysqldb pillow
cd ~/git
git clone https://github.com/weewx/weewx.git
cd weewx/bin
python3 -m weectl station create
... weectl prompts for station information...
python3 -m weewxd