> The only user-defined in that conf file is *schema =
user.db_wmr300.schema*
> If I comment that out then it runs OK.  With it in , I get...

Cameron - v5 expects that stuff in /etc/weewx/bin/user but v4 expected it
in /usr/share/weewx/user, so the location has changed.   You need your user
stuff in the new v5 location.

I did a clean v4 install and then an upgrade to the v5 rc dpkg and it 'did'
correctly move things over and disable (rename) the old location, so the
current dpkg looks good.  I'm guessing you restored something manually
after the fact and put it in the wrong (v4) location rather than the new
(v5) location.