I just decided to do a fresh install on a new rpi3 with hdd and whilst
following the user guide ran into a few issues.

It seems that the user guide and wiki have been 'tweeked' for .deb package
installs, rendering it a little harder to determine what is needed for a
setup.py install.  I think I finally got it to work by 'remembering' that
in olden days one had to copy files to init.d, logwatch, syslog etc .....
but the current guide seems to assume that everything is in /etc/weewx
location where it would be if installed via deb package.

I still do not know if I just had to change the symlinks or do what I ended
up doing, and copying files.

Did I miss something, or misread something??  The logwatch wiki does say to
copy instead of symlink - so I that for all the others too!!!

Andrew