On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 8:31:07 AM UTC-4, Paul Bartholdi wrote:

> Concerning "te923", I had "te923.py-0.18r6", which I assumed to be the
> latest "te923.py-0.18". It was 100 % OK with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
> When I installed U 16.04 LTS however, weewx started to work very
> erratically and soon stopped completely.
> Then I realised that the "r6" version was just temporary and is now
> replaced with "te923.py-0.18", I installed the latest and now weewx runs
> perfectly, better than ever!
>
> Is there a way to be informed when a new version of such a sensible driver
> comes out?

you'll have to watch the repository.

i pushed driver version 0.19 yesterday (commit
760d55d4a318402698e28f09a56b67db338a644f)

https://github.com/weewx/weewx/commit/760d55d4a318402698e28f09a56b67db338a644f

the reset seems to cause problems on more configurations than the minor
improvement it makes on one arm configuration.  the sleep timings seem to
make no difference at all.  the udev hid release command posted earlier is
a no-op - it probably *would* help, but on linux systems we can release the
kernel from the code so there is no need to do it via udev script.

the functionality/features of the te923 driver is quite stable.
unfortunately, the implementation seems to be stable on some platforms, but
not on others.  for example, the usb reset was helpful on an arm based
system running debian 7, but when i started testing on a different type of
arm running ubuntu 14.04, the reset caused problems.  there are also some
timing issues when doing repeated interrupt reads, and these might be due
to ubuntu/debian differences, or they might be due to differences in the
underlying libusb/pyusb implementations.

unfortunately i have only one configuration on which to test.  so feedback
from other te923 users is *greatly* appreciated.  but that feedback needs
to be about the latest driver and the configuration on which it is running.

it would be nice to configure a bunch of virtual machines or containers and
set up automated unit tests for the driver...